It’s late summer and corn is in season right now in Ontario and it is DELISH! I know after a few meals of corn on the cob we all want to switch it up a little … so this is a perfect alternative to corn on the cob.
Not sure if you are familiar with Mexico’s all-dressed corn-on-the-cob…but this recipe turns it into a summery salad. If you don’t like spicy foods, use smoked paprika in the crema; otherwise, chipotle powder or canned chipotles gives the salad an authentic smoky kick or in a pinch use Sriracha. The crema is also delicious with nachos, on burgers, chicken, grilled fish, honestly anything!
Chipotle Lime Crema
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise (reduced fat is fine)
- ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 Tbls fresh lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or ground chipotle pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 cobs of corn, shucked
- 1 orange pepper diced finely
- ⅔ cup dice finely a Vidalia onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 whole avocados diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups arugula (the peppery taste is a nice compliment to the sweetness of the corn)
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta or cotija cheese if you can score that
- Lime wedges
Step by Step:
For the crema, whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 1 week.
Preheat grill to high. Clean and oil barbecue grate. Place corn on grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, you could boil the corn in unsalted water for 5 minutes then quickly char it directly on the flame of a gas burner.) Transfer to a baking sheet and cool completely.
* TIP! Start with a large bowl and then place a smaller bowl upside down. Stand corn on end. Slice downward with a sharp knife to cut kernels away from cob. Less Mess! Place corn in a large mixing bowl with onion, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix.
For each serving, place a little mound of salad greens in a bowl, if using. Spoon in some corn salad. Top with a dollop of crema and sprinkle with feta. Serve with lime wedges.