avocado, cooking in 15 minutes, corn, easy cooking, easy dinner, easy dinners, easy salads, eat, eating, entertaining, feta, food, fresh, fresh cooking, grill, light dinners, quick cooking, simple entertaining, summer, summer salads, summertime, tomatoes
It’s late summer and corn is in season right now in Ontario and it is DELISH! I know after a few meals of corn on the cob we all want to switch it up a little … so this is a perfect alternative to corn on the cob.
Not sure if you are familiar with Mexico’s all-dressed corn-on-the-cob…but this recipe turns it into a summery salad. If you don’t like spicy foods, use smoked paprika in the crema; otherwise, chipotle powder or canned chipotles gives the salad an authentic smoky kick or in a pinch use Sriracha. The crema is also delicious with nachos, on burgers, chicken, grilled fish, honestly anything!
Chipotle Lime Crema
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise (reduced fat is fine)
- ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 2 Tbls fresh lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or ground chipotle pepper
- Salt to taste
- 6 cobs of corn, shucked
- 1 orange pepper diced finely
- ⅔ cup dice finely a Vidalia onion
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 whole avocados diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups arugula (the peppery taste is a nice compliment to the sweetness of the corn)
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled feta or cotija cheese if you can score that
- Lime wedges
Step by Step:
For the crema, whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate at least 24 hours and up to 1 week.
Preheat grill to high. Clean and oil barbecue grate. Place corn on grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, you could boil the corn in unsalted water for 5 minutes then quickly char it directly on the flame of a gas burner.) Transfer to a baking sheet and cool completely.
* TIP! Start with a large bowl and then place a smaller bowl upside down. Stand corn on end. Slice downward with a sharp knife to cut kernels away from cob. Less Mess! Place corn in a large mixing bowl with onion, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix.
For each serving, place a little mound of salad greens in a bowl, if using. Spoon in some corn salad. Top with a dollop of crema and sprinkle with feta. Serve with lime wedges.