Need soup in a hurry? Keep reading.
My Goal in 2018 is to use my Instant pot 10 times a month. Sometimes following a recipe and other times just winging it.
This soup was the latter and it turned out amazingly well.
Ingredients I like to say are a guideline… don’t bail on a recipe if you are missing an ingredient just improvise. Only have 3 cups of squash? then use a sweet potato too!
- 6 cups of butternut squash. A small squash should give you 6 cups. Large pieces is fine.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large apple chopped or 2 small (leave skin on)
- 1 smoked Serrano chili (you can use 1 tsp chipotle powder or a whole chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (found in a can in your Mexican or ethic aisle at the grocery store))
- 3 cloves of garlic whole
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 4 cups chicken stock (i used water because I was out)
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream 35% or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp oil (any oil you have)
Plug in your Instant pot and press Saute, add a little splash of oil and then the onions and garlic, saute and minute or two… then add your spices and keep your face away from the pot… the spices will begin to saute and you will start to cough if you are too close. Let it go a minute and toss in the apples and squash. Then add your liquids.
Press cancel. Put on the lid and move the vent to seal. Press the soup button, set time for 15 minutes and voila. Once Instant pot beeps, open the vent. Once you can safely remove the lid take it off and grab a immersion blender and blend the soup until nice and creamy, then add the cream and stir. Check for seasonings and adjust to your own tastes.
If you don’t have an immersion blender you can cool the soup and use a blender. This recipe makes 10 cups.
It will keep in your fridge for 5 days or freeze. I made this 3 days ago and have eaten 5 cups already.. it is spicy and creamy and delicious.
To jazz it up you can toss with a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream, chives and pumpkin seeds or crispy bacon bits.