BBQ, comfort food, cooking, delicious, easy cooking, easy dinners, eat, entertaining, fall dishes, food, instant pot, kid friendly, make ahead meals, pork, pressure cooking, pulled pork, quick cooking, simple entertaining, tacos, winter
I am officially obsessed with my Instant Pot. My pulled pork was a big test because I swear by using my slow cooker for 12 hours to make the “perfect” pulled pork. I saw pork shoulder bone in on sale at the store today so I picked one up for 18$ for 3 kilos. A steal!
Prep is the same, but instead of taking 12 hours in a slow cooker however I had pulled pork on the table in 75 minutes!
Here is what you need:
- 3 kilos of pork shoulder bone in (remove the skin and slice into fist full chunks)
- Dry rub – start with 2/3 cup but you may need more (I use my own rub but you can buy one from the store)
- 1 bottle beer or can of coke or root beer (not sugar free)
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 cup bbq sauce – I use homemade but you can use your favorite store bought BBQ sauce.
- Cut the pork shoulder into fist full chunks keeping the bones.
- Rub each and every pork chunk with the dry rub.
- Typically I would do this 24-48 hours in advance and keep it in the fridge but today I did it all in one step.
- In your instant pot press the sauté button and add a splash of oil. Add sliced onion. Sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Add pork chunks.
- Layer meat and onions, meat and onions.
- Pour beer over top. If you want it gluten free don’t have a beer use root beer/coke etc. in this case I used a radler. Try to make sure the meat is evenly in the pot and mostly covered by the beer.
- Put on instant pot lid.
- Press meat button, set for 75 minutes and put up your feet and relax.
- Fast forward ~90 mins (once instant pot is finished and done venting open the lid.)
- Remove bones and discard. Shred meat with fork or tongs. The meat is like butter and just falls apart.
- You will have a lot of pork juices (these are delicious and if you want to scoop out 3 cups you can use it for baked beans) reserve a good 3 cups, you will most likely have 5-6 cups of juices.
- In the instant pot add back in the pork, 2-3 cups of porky juices and the bourbon and BBQ sauce. Press sauté button and cook for 5 minutes or so. You want to taste the sweet pork, not just the BBQ sauce so start with a little, you can always add more.
- This made 8 cups of meat and sauce. Enough for 4 dinners. It freezes superbly well. I use it for tacos, on nachos on my famous pull pork pizza! Think about it, 4 dinners for 18$ is a great deal.
Enjoy! I can’t wait to hear how you liked it!