baking, butter, comfort food, cooking, delicious, easy breakfast, easy cooking, eat, entertaining, food, kid friendly, kids baking, make ahead meals, mini scones, quick cooking, scones, simple entertaining, starbucks scones, sugar, treats, vanilla, vanilla beans, vanilla scones
This homemade version of vanilla bean scones is so easy to make. Great for kids and quick snacks.
Prep Time 30 minutes – Cook Time 16 minutes
Makes 16 mini scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar or vanilla bean sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, grated into pieces
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup cold heavy whipping cream (depends on the moisture in your flour and house)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- seeds scraped from one vanilla bean or 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste (I swear by this stuff!)
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (I did 350 degrees for convection bake) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the grated butter and rub butter and flour together with your hands. Continue until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Then mix in the cream and the vanilla extract.
- When the dough has gathered itself into a ball and divide the dough into 2 equal portions. I had to add more cream to make this happen… keep that in mind. Flatten each portion of dough into a disc shape, about 1 1/2-inches thick. Score each disc into 8 triangles with a knife, and pull the triangles slightly away from one another (allowing about 1/2-inch in between).
- Brush with cream on top and bake the scones for 16 to 20 minutes, until set in the centers and slightly golden on the bottoms.
ADD THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl, stir the powdered sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and milk together until smooth. Spread a small amount of glaze on top of each scone.
These are delish, you can’t eat just one. The recipe makes 16 mini scones, 2 hours after baking I have 8 left. They got a 12/10 for taste. 🙌