The traditional Thai mango salad is sweet and spicy, filled with fried onions, crunchy peanuts and tons of herbs.
This salad comes together really quickly and it is delicious to eat over the course of a few days. Today for lunch I paired it will a banh mi (probably the most delicious sandwich ever made). I promise to blog about that one soon!
Thai mango salad
- 2 large ripe mangos (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pepper red or yellow thinly sliced
- 1/2 grated carrot
- 1/2 cup of cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup of Thai basil leaves
- 1 Thai bird red chili – sliced super finely. (Don’t touch your eyes after doing this, or any body part for that matter)
- 2 tbls chopped salted peanuts
- 2 tbls of fried onions
- 3 tbls rice vinegar
- 1 tbls granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tbls fish sauce
- Pinch of salt
You can use a food processor to cut of veggies but I just slice them with a knife.
Cut up all the fruit and veggies and put them in a bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and salt. Toss. Add the herbs and toss again. Just before serving sprinkle in the peanuts and fried onions and Thai bird chili. Use caution! These babies are very very hot!
Devour. It is the perfect dish to serve along with grilled BBQ meats, shrimp, classic Thai or Vietnamse foods.