basil, butter, cheese, comfort food, cooking, delicious, easy cooking, easy dinner, easy dinners, easy pasta, eat, fall, fall dishes, food, fresh, italian, Italian wedding soup, Italy, kid friendly, leftovers, make ahead meals, Parmesan, pasta, pork, quick cooking, simple entertaining, soup, soup recipes, wedding soup, winter, winter soups
When you live in Ottawa, and it’s the winter and it’s cold than Mars (true story) I crave soup. This delicious Italian Wedding soup always makes feel cozy and warm. Italian wedding soup is a combination of a killer broth, mini tasty meatballs, a small pasta, veggies and greens.
I honestly adore soup. I love it for lunch with a piece of crusty bread and it makes a great appetizer before dinner. My youngest Holly loves this soup (she loves meat) my oldest Chloe avoids meat like the plague, so I wanted to create a version that would appeal to both kids. Chloe just eats hers minus the meatballs.
This soup is made on the stove 🙂 sorry Instant Pot lovers this is old school 🙂 This soup will keep in your fridge for 5 days and freezes superbly well. Rolling the meatballs are the most time consuming part of this recipe so if you have
child labor kids to assist you, use it.
Ingredients for Pork Meatballs (can be done ahead of time and frozen):
- 1 pound ground pork (makes a tender meatball, but you can also use beef)
- 1/2 cup onion , finely diced (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and minced (or use a rasp)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs (parsley, basil, rosemary)
- 1 egg
Ingredients for Soup:
- 1 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 cup onion , finely diced (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup carrot , peeled and diced (1 medium carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- ~3 liters chicken broth – organic if you can (or homemade… I don’t have time for that though :)…)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 cup orzo, seme di Melone or acini di pepi
- 1 pound fresh tender spinach
- 2 tablespoons finely diced mixed herbs
In a large bowl, mix together pork, onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, salt, bread crumbs, herbs, and egg until combined
Shape into tiny bite-sized meatballs, roughly 1/2 inch in diameter; place onto parchment covered cookie sheet and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. Luckily if you live in Canada during the winter you can put these babies outside to freeze while you prepare your broth 🙂 * Refrigerating is important as it will keep them from falling apart in the soup. You need a minimum of 30 mins to set up.
In a large stock pot, melt butter; add onion, carrots, and garlic. Saute until tender, but not soft (about 5 minutes)
Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Turn to simmer, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste
Drop meatballs into broth; cook 7 minutes. Add pasta of your choice and cook 5 minutes
Add herbs and simmer for 30 minutes to meld flavours, adding more broth, if needed. Add spinach for the last few minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread, or garlic bread (my kids favourite) and top with additional Parmesan cheese. I also love to add a bit of Sriracha to my soup too.